The Personal and Professional Development Committee holds events throughout the year such as speed networking events, finance seminars, 101 workshops, book club and more to get HYPEsters involved in hands-on activities. The HYPE Homemade blog series aims to bring the "hands-on" aspect of the events into your home, through a monthly cooking blog! Committee members will share recipes they enjoy, from grandma's special recipe passed down through generations, to cookbook favorites, to meals they've created!
During the month of November, we will feature multiple holiday recipes! Our first recipe for a delicious homemade cheesecake, comes from Suzanne Hoyer, and is sure to please at any holiday gathering! Make sure to let us know in the blog comments if you tried the recipe!
Credit: My older sister, My Hang Truong
Level of Difficulty: 2 out of 5
Tools required: Stand Mixer with whisk attachment (or hand mixer but the batter is thick), Springform pan
Time Required: prep - 20 minutes, cook - 35 minutes, inactive cook - 25 minutes
About the recipe: Growing up, my sister’s most-requested recipe was her cheesecake. She has distinctly lessened the number of ingredients to use, but the end result is still the most delicious cheesecake ever. She’s also used this as a base to her coffee cheesecake, marble cheesecake or even full-on chocolate cheesecake. I’ve made a half and half chocolate/vanilla cheesecake but you can skip the chocolate steps for a regular cheesecake.
For the crust:
2 cups crushed graham crackers
1 stick unsalted butter
1/8 tsp salt
For the filling:
4 8-oz bars of cream cheese (you can use Neufchatel(lower fat) or whole milk or a combination of the two)
8 oz sour cream *
1 can sweetened condensed milk *
1 tsp vanilla
4 oz dark chocolate **
* If you use less of one, use less of the other – you don’t want a wet batter
** Only if you plan on making a chocolate/vanilla cheesecake, or even a marbled cheesecake.
Get the oven ready:
1. Arrange the trays in the oven – the upper one in the middle, and the lower one under the upper.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F (350 F if you make these into cupcakes)
Prepare the crust:
1. In a small bowl, melt the butter.Add it to the graham crackers and salt.Use a fork and mix well.
2. Place into the bottom of a springform pan. With the fork, spread it out evenly from the middle and press down to make sure it’s pretty compact – you want a crust that won’t crumble when you cut it.
Prepare the filling:
1. Cream the cream cheese in the stand mixer. Once creamed, add the remaining
ingredients and mix until smooth.
2. If you want to make half regular and half chocolate, only pour about ½ to 2/3 of the cheesecake batter into the springform pan and follow steps below. (For a regular cheesecake, gently, spoon/pour the filling into the middle of the springform pan. Use a spatula to push the cheesecake out towards the edges of the pan. Make sure it is even, as it won’t spread out during baking. Skip to step 8)
3. Melt the chocolate in the microwave (melt for 30 seconds, wait 10 seconds, and then melt for another 30 seconds).
4. Whisk the chocolate until the bumps have been melted out and you have shiny smooth chocolate.
5. Mix the chocolate into the cheesecake filling that’s still in the mixing bowl – mix it with a spatula until it has fully incorporated – you shouldn’t see any white of the original cheesecake filling.
6. Slowly pour the chocolate cheesecake filling on top of the regular filling – don’t dump it in one spot or else you’ll have an uneven layer of chocolate on top.
7. Smooth out the chocolate filling.
8. Put a shallow pan of water in the lower tray of the oven, and the cheesecake in the upper pan.
9. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the cheesecake JUST starts to brown.It should still have a bit of jiggle if you tap the sides, but shouldn’t be brown at all.
10. Turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake in so the total time it spends in the oven is 1 hour.
11. Take out the cheesecake and let cool completely before refrigerating (about 2-3 hours). Once cooled, use a flat edge and run it along the sides of the pan.Then remove the sides of the springform pan.